In order to get ready for some trail running this season, I needed to get back on the trails: so I hit one up this morning for my 4-5 miler. I chose one not too far from home and left as soon as I dropped my daughter off for school. It’s been a while since I’ve run the trails, and I had a forgotten a few things! Here I’ve made a list of what you need to remember to bring when you head out on the trails!
- Bug spray. It’s still hot here, and its wet, wet, wet. By wet I mean swampy. And you know what likes swampiness? Mosquitos! I knew I needed my bug spray; I just forgot. I was okay while moving, but when I stopped it was attack of the biting insects. Won’t make that mistake again! Luckily it stopped, but only after it hit about 150 thousand degrees and the sun was shining so brightly on me I thought I might die.
- Hat! I had mine on, thankfully. The sun was beating
- down brutally by the end.
- Sunscreen. Always.
- Map of the trail. I should’ve snapped a photo of the trail when I began. I knew it was a 5 mile loop, but I didn’t realize there were multiple trails within the park. Therefore, I ended up going my own way and never actually followed the whole path. No biggie, it was fun exploring and I’m not really a big map person anyway – I like to take off and then see where I end up – but at a few points I wished for that map.
- Toilet paper. When you have to pee in the woods, TP is nice. And a baggie to put it in when done. Enough said.
- Flip flops for after. The trail was wet, and my feet were wet, too. It would’ve been nice to slip them into a pair of flip flops after and ditch the socks and shoes.
- Extra drinks for the ride home. I did bring this, and I was glad! It was incredibly hot today. I finished both drinks during my 4.2 run and was glad I had a cold water waiting in the car.
It was a fun run, and later I’ll write a review of the trail itself. I’m excited to get back onto the trails now, but I hope it starts to cool down some soon. That, or I’m going to need to find a completely shaded trail.
Do you trail run? Any extra tips you can add to mine?